If you’re an experienced, results-oriented creative professional who loves to harness the power of words — and you are interested in a leadership track position with one of New Jersey’s most respected PR firms — read on.
Taft Communications, which for more than 35 years has helped clients who do good work tell their stories, needs a smart and creative thinker who can craft click-worthy pitches, has a track record of consistently getting media coverage, is up to date on best practices and trends in the digital space, and preferably can navigate InDesign and/or Illustrator.
You’ll be based in our Princeton-area office, surrounded by a cohesive, welcoming diverse team of sharp, passionate colleagues who excel at upping each other’s game. We meet deadlines head-on for clients ranging from universities, to regional hospitals, to small and large companies, to nonprofits and philanthropic foundations. Our areas of special expertise include health/life sciences, energy/environment and public policy/education.
We pride ourselves on our willingness to grow each day, and to offer winning ideas and top service to great clients.
The Senior Communications Manager is expected to provide communications, marketing and media relations support (writing, editing), social media/digital strategy, and project/account management for assigned clients and Taft. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute media relations strategy, including concise and compelling media pitches, news releases, op-eds, etc. for a variety of clients
- Create proposals and Statements of Work and lead day-to-day jobs
- Perform outreach via multiple channels (phone, email, social media)
- Identify fresh opportunities for coverage for assigned clients via editorial calendars, media monitoring and staying on top of newspapers/magazines/online news sites
- Maintain knowledge of local and national media, business developments pertaining to client industries, and PR and social media business trends
- Participate in development and execution of digital/social media strategies and tactics
- Develop and traffic creative content for marketing activities including: websites, video, digital advertising, and social media
- Project manage assigned accounts with a focus on profitability, lead internal and client meetings/calls, and participate in the firm’s business development activities
- Develop strategic communications plans
Traits we love
- High energy and drive
- Sense of humor
- First-rate writing skills
- Outstanding verbal communications
- Ability to think strategically
- Experience leading issue campaigns
- Skillful time management
- Detail oriented
- Readiness to learn and stretch
- Interest in current events
- Ability to meet deadlines, keep track of multiple projects, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for public-interest causes like health, education, environment
- Diverse backgrounds and/or perspectives
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters or other advance degree preferred
- 7-12 years of overall experience, with 3-plus years of agency experience in account management and media relations, public relations, public affairs and digital/social marketing
- Working experience in renewable energy/environmental issues preferred and health/life sciences, or education, a plus
- Working knowledge of the New Jersey political landscape and experience in political or issues campaigns a plus.
If you have what it takes for this position, let us know why we should hire you. Send a cover note and your resume to [email protected]. No phone calls please.
Taft is a top communications consultancy based in New Jersey with 35 years of success in creating and implementing targeted campaigns for mission-driven clients across our state, nation, and the world.
We are a team of experienced pros with eclectic backgrounds in a range of areas. The firm has particularly in-depth experience in the health and life sciences sectors and is expanding its role in public policy, education, and environmental and energy issues. ClearPoint, Taft’s leadership communications practice, provides coaching, clinics, and training to help transform leaders — and aspiring leaders — into superb communicators.
Our mission is to help good clients do good work — and to have fun while we’re doing it. Learn more about us at taftcommunications.com.
Taft is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.