If you’re an experienced, results-oriented creative professional who loves to harness the power of words — and you are interested in a leadership track position with one of New Jersey’s most respected PR firms — read on.
Taft Communications, which for more than 35 years has helped clients who do good work tell their stories, needs a smart and creative thinker who can craft internal and external communications strategies and click-worthy pitches, and has a track record of consistently getting media coverage.
You’ll be based in our Princeton-area office, where you’ll have the option to work from home two days a week and be surrounded by a cohesive, welcoming diverse team of sharp, passionate colleagues who excel at upping each other’s game. We meet deadlines head-on for clients ranging from universities, to regional hospitals, to small and large companies, to nonprofits and philanthropic foundations. Our areas of special expertise include health/life sciences, energy/environment, public policy/education and transportation/technology.
The Senior Communications Manager is expected to provide communications, and media relations support (writing, editing, pitching) and project/account management for assigned clients and Taft. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute media relations strategy, including concise and compelling media pitches, news releases, op-eds, etc. for a variety of clients
- Create proposals and Statements of Work and lead day-to-day jobs
- Identify fresh opportunities for media coverage for assigned clients via editorial calendars, media monitoring and staying on top of newspapers/magazines/online news sites
- Maintain knowledge of local and national media, business developments pertaining to client industries, and PR and social media business trends
- Participate in development of digital/social media strategies and tactics
- Develop and traffic creative content for marketing activities including: websites, video, digital advertising, and social media
- Project manage assigned accounts with a focus on profitability, lead internal and client meetings/calls, and participate in the firm’s business development activities
- Develop strategic communications plans
Traits we love
- High energy and drive
- Sense of humor
- First-rate writing skills
- Outstanding verbal communications
- Ability to think strategically
- Experience leading issue campaigns
- Skillful time management
- Focus on details
- Readiness to learn and stretch
- Interest in current events
- Ability to meet deadlines, keep track of multiple projects, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for public-interest causes like health, education, and environment
- Diverse backgrounds and/or perspectives
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters or other advance degree preferred
- 7-12 years of overall experience in some of the following: media relations, public relations, public affairs, journalism and digital/social marketing.
- Prior agency experience preferred
If you have what it takes for this position, let us know why you think you’re a good fit for Taft. Send a cover note and your resume to [email protected]. No phone calls please.